Your First Visit
Your first visit includes a comprehensive exam in which our doctor will talk to you about your dental and medical history and note any questions or concerns you may have. Many health conditions are indicated in the mouth and can affect oral health, so your medical information is very important in diagnosing issues with your teeth, gums and mouth.
- During your first visit, we will:
- Take full mouth x-rays to identify any current problems and to use as a baseline on future visits to detect early signs of problems. The American Dental Association recommends getting a full series every three years.
- Assess gum condition and health.
- Examine teeth for cavities and condition of old dental restorations.
- Perform a head and neck exam, including salivary glands and lymph nodes, for swelling or other abnormalities.
- Screen for oral cancer and TMJ (jaw joint).
- Clean and polish your teeth.